There are a number of foods that undoubtedly keep us feeling full and should be a part of our diet. Here are some essential skinny healthy foods that will keep you full.
1. Greek Yogurt. It has been around for a long time, but has really gained a lot of popularity in the past year with many yogurt companies jumping on the bandwagon. Now Greek yogurt comes in a number of flavors, but plain is my favorite. I will add some micro planed garlic, salt and pepper and use it as a substitute for sour cream. A 6oz container has 17 grams of protein which is serious hunger control.
2. Eggs. There are so many ways to eat an egg and every single one of them is delicious. Scrambled, hard boiled or even an omelette full of fresh vegetables is the way to go when you want to have more energy and stay feeling full longer. There are only 70 calories in an egg, but it is jammed packed with 6 grams of protein, a fantastic way to start any day. One of my favorite ways to eat eggs is to boil up a half dozen and keep them in the frig so when I am hungry, I have easy access to cut one up, salt and pepper it and feel full for a while.If you want to know the proper way to boil the perfect egg, see my post here.
3. Avocados. One of my ABSOLUTE favorite foods on earth! A perfectly ripe avocado is simply perfect with anything. If you think that you don’t like avocados, you are wrong. It doesn’t have to be guacamole, I am talking about a few pieces of avocado with your omelette from above or on the side with your grilled chicken. An avocado contains healthy mono saturated fats that digest at a slower rate therefore keeping you full longer. They are also full of folate, potassium and vitamin E. A little tip, after cutting open, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on your avacodos to keep them from turning brown. Use the rest of the wedge to make lemon water, see the best health benefits of drinking lemon water here.
4. Beans. They were always known as the magical fruit, but beans are truly a power food. They contain 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein in 1/2 a cup and are another skinny healthy food that you can throw in with so many other recipes. I love to add black beans to a Spanish rice, or include them with your taco mixture.
5. Soup. A broth based soup is a great way to start a meal, especially when it includes fiber type vegetables such as spinach or celery, because it will fill you up so you are less likely to overeat the second course.
6. Apples. Such an easy way to get rid of your growling stomach and help you get through to your next meal. An apple has 4 grams of fiber and only 80 calories, what a perfect skinny healthy food.
7. Oatmeal. Usually a breakfast food, but could really fit into any mealtime. With 4-7 grams of protein, even before you add the milk, this delicious food will keep you full for hours.
8. Nuts. Keeping in mind portion, a palmful of walnuts, pistachios or almonds will fulfill your need for food. Nuts are a perfect combo of fiber, fat and protein so you should always have them on hand.
Keeping these skinny healthy foods that will keep you full in mind, will help you make better, more balanced decisions.