Whether it’s football season, hockey season or baseball season, nachos take center stage every Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, most of the time the topping for nachos comes out of a can, certainly not a healthy choice. So why not serve the most delicious healthy nachos ever this weekend?
Since most guys don’t want to hear the word healthy, especially when it comes to nachos, during a football game, don’t tell them, until after of course, when they rave at just how delicious they are. I promise you these nachos are full of flavor, low in fat and will fit perfectly into your Skinny Healthy Girl lifestyle while making a serious impression at your next party.
The first step is to make the best black bean dip ever, get the recipe here. This is one to bookmark because you’re going to make it over and over again, plus all of your friends are going to ask for the recipe. After you’ve made the best black bean dip ever, come back and follow these simple steps.
1. Preheat your oven to broil (500 degrees) and lay out your favorite, thick, strong yellow corn chips, preferably whole grain, in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. My favorite is Tostitos Whole Grain Scoops because they hold everything so well. Put the chips in the oven for 3-4 minutes to give them a little extra crisp, but keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
2. Shred a bar of your favorite extra sharp cheddar cheese and put aside. Pick an extra sharp so that you can use a little less but still make an impact in taste.
3. Chop up 2 scallions and a jalapeno (with or without seeds, depending on how spicy you like them) and put aside. You can also chop up some tomatoes, make some guacamole and serve my easy spiced up sour cream that you’ll learn more about below.
4. Top each crispy chip with a teaspoon of the best black bean dip, as to not over do it, which will only make the nachos soggy. Place a little cheddar cheese onto each nacho and press down a little to make sure it stays put.
5. Place the cookie sheet under the broiler and set your timer for 4 minutes. Depending on your oven and how crispy you like them, you may need to go longer to make sure they are browned around the edges and the cheese is bubbling.
Once the best black bean healthy nachos are to your liking, pull them out of the oven and garnish with your scallions, jalapenos (and a little cilantro if you would like).
Place the best black bean healthy nachos on a serving platter. The perfect and easy condiment to serve with these nachos is my spiced up sour cream. Just put 2-3 large spoonfuls of sour cream, reduced fat or regular, into a small bowl and mix in a few good shots (5-10) of your favorite hot sauce, ours is Cholula in the chipotle flavor. It is so simple to make and is the perfect compliment to your nachos.
More recommended recipes and food options from Skinny Healthy Girl: