Snacking in the summer can get unhealthy at times especially when you’re throwing bags of Doritos into your beach bag each day. Eating snacks throughout the day can actually be healthy if you choose the right foods because your appetite is curbed, your energy stays up and the weight stays off. The most important thing to keep in mind is to always include as much protein as possible and to choose the whole grain option for everything from a sandwich to brown rice sushi. Have you heard of these 10 healthiest summer snack ideas under 200 calories?
1. One of my favorite low calorie snacks that is not only delicious, but curbs your appetite is the Oats and Peanut Butter Fiber One Bar. This snack bar only has 150 calories, but is jam packed with 9 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein so it will keep you full for hours.
2. A highly recommended snack that we hear about all of the time is nuts and my husband found the best assortment available today! Planters Deluxe is the perfect combination of cashews (my favorite), almonds, brazil nuts, pecans and macadamias and 19 pieces has only 170 calories. Yes, this one takes a little measuring and planning, but if you put about 20 pieces in a sandwich bag and throw it in with your towels, you will have a delicious snack that will keep you full for hours.
3. Wheat Thins Fiber Selects Garden Vegetable are fantastic. A serving size includes 15 crackers and only 120 calories. Not only is this snack delicious, it has 5 grams of fiber, only 4 grams of fat and a whole grain crunch that doesn’t taste like you are trying to be healthy.
4. Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt (8oz) supports your immune system and digestive health while only containing 120 calories. Yogurt is full of protein without any fat which is rare and will keep you full while doing amazing things for your body. My favorite is Stew Leonards Farm Fresh Yogurt, but if you don’t have one near you, just be sure to always look at the label and buy the fat free versions with less than 10 sugars if you can.
5. Another healthy snack for any time of the day is Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal. This may not be one you take along to the beach with you, but if you eat a serving of this with skim milk before you leave the house, your appetite will be surpressed until lunch time. A little less than 1 cup serving and a 1/2 cup of skim milk is just under 200 calories, but also contains a whopping 13 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein. Fiber One cereal is the bomb of cereals as it boasts on the front of the box that one serving is equal to 51% of the amount of fiber you should be eating each day. Just think, you will already by half way to your total at breakfast each day, that truly is something to boast about.
6. My “go to” snack that I always forget is healthy because it is so delicious is my best protein packed breakfast that I talked about here. With only 170 calories, this healthy summer snack is perfect for lunch too because is packs a total of 8 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. If you haven’t yet tried this snack, you must and it will become a staple in your Skinny Healthy Recipes.
7. Who doesn’t LOVE ice cream especially in the summer? Eddy’s Slow Churned Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream tastes just like the full fat version except it only contains 120 calories in a 1/2 cup serving and just 2.5 grams of fat. This snack is one of those that tastes like it’s unhealthy for you, but is actually a Skinny Healthy Food.
8. Greek Yogurt is a more recent addition to my healthy diet and what makes it even better is to add a sweet touch of honey. A 6oz container of Chobani Greek Yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey is only 160 calories and a crazy 18 grams of protein. Out of this world!
9. TLC is a Kashi Brand who prides themselves in making tasty healthy snacks that refuel your mind, body and spirit. The Fire Roasted Veggie snack crackers contain vegtables, herbs and 7 whole grains which makes it top on my list of nutritional eats. 15 of these crackers have 120 calories, 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber, plus only 3.5 grams of fat. My husband actually introduced me to this particular all natural crunchy snack and now it’s on our grocery list each week.
10. Last on my list of Healthy Summer Snacks, but defininetly not least is a pretty special food for me. Potato chips are almost always off the Skinny Healthy Foods list, but these deserve a mention and I can honestly say are my first choice even over full fat chips. Not only is Cape Cod my favorite place on earth, they make the most delicious potato chips! Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Potato Chips Aged Cheddar and Sour Cream contain 40% less fat than regular chips, plus they are all natural. 18 chips contains 140 calories and that’s a lot of chips to serve alongside a sandwich when you’re watching your waistline.
You have now heard of the 10 Healthiest Summer Snack Ideas Under 200 Calories and I hope that you will include them in your Skinny Healthy Lifestyle this season!