I am a pretty happy person and have always been that way. It’s not something that I think about, it just kind of happens. But as I get older and have to face uncomfortable situations, I have found that it sometimes takes thought in choosing to be happy, like I talked about here. Since a lot of our happiness rests upon the shoulders of others choices and how they treat us, it’s important to know how to face them and life in general.
Whether you may just be having a bad day, week or year, everybody is looking for ways to live a more fulfilling and happy life. Keeping these 5 ‘must do’ things in mind each day will help you along the way…
1. Focus on the positives of everything that you encounter in life. Working to be a positive person will not only make you feel better about yourself, it will attract other positive people to you. Nobody wants to hang around Negative Nelly.
2. Forgive those who have hurt you. I’m not saying to forget because every experience is an opportunity to learn so that you don’t make the same mistake twice. But always allow yourself to forgive mistakes and give everybody a second chance. After that you might have no choice and want to refer to #3 below. But remember, holding onto negative feelings is a downer and an unhealthy way to live.
3. Let go of what no longer serves you and walk away from the drama. I wish that I had known this when I was younger as I tried to maintain friendships that were unhealthy for me. If you are miserable or in anyway unhappy with a relationship in your life and have done everything possible to fix it, be strong enough to walk away. As hard as it might be at the time, you will be happier in the end.
4. Express your feelings when you’re feeling them especially to the people that you love the most. Don’t let a moment pass when you have the opportunity to tell someone how you feel because you will regret it. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable to get deep with others but it is so freeing after the fact and will make your relationship stronger. Never assume people know how you feel because they usually don’t; communication is the key to the success of any relationship. Don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in.
5. Be open-minded and think outside the box of your own life. Try to understand how others may choose to live their life before judging. A wise man once told me, “Before you judge, try to understand”. Sometimes we close ourselves off until we’ve experienced the same thing. Instead, why not expand your mind beforehand and try to see someone else’s point or life struggle as if it’s your own? Always give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise and remember there are 2 sides to EVERY story.
**And a little bonus tip that I use every single day. Keep things as simple as possible and use common sense. There is nothing worse than a complicated situation, focus on the fact of life and go with your gut because it’s almost always right!
Live Healthy. Live Happy!
Read more from Skinny Healthy Girl here.