If you’re like most people I know, you choose to drink coffee everyday. I love a good cup of coffee too, but as I sip on my freshly brewed green tea on this snowy NYC morning, I thought I’d share some Skinny Healthy Girl knowledge. After this, you might actually consider switching from coffee to green tea, or at least incorporating it into your life. Green tea is ages old and its health benefits are nothing new, but it’s being recognized like never before.
A little history: Green tea is made from the Camellia Sinensis Plant; which was originated in China and has played a large role in Chinese medicine. What makes green tea leaves so special and healthy is it’s full of antioxidants called polyphenols, and its cousin phytochemicals, both of which give the potion its magical powers.
Another essential component of what makes green tea so powerful is EGCG, also known as Epigallocatechin gallate, shown to slow irregular cell growth, potentially fighting some cancers. To fully benefit from its health properties, 2-3 cups of green tea a day is recommended. If you don’t like the taste of green tea, try the kind I drink (see above), it’s smooth and infused with honey lemon, very good.
Here are 10 more very good reasons why you should drink green tea.
- Green tea burns fat as fuel, improves muscle endurance.
- Green tea might protect against breast, colon, skin, lung, liver, ovarian, prostate, oral, esophagus, colorectal, pancreas, stomach and small intestine cancers.
- Green tea could help reduce the risk of a heart attack and cardiovascular disease.
- Green tea may help maintain memory and fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Green tea could lower the risk of Parkinson’s disease.
- Green tea is hydrating even though some contains caffeine, that’s a biggy!
- Green tea has been known to protect against ultraviolet rays, acting as a back up sunscreen.
- Green tea fights belly fat; reducing the risk of diabetes, heart attack and stroke.
- Green tea studies show that its compounds could help those suffering from Type 2 diabetes, allowing them to better process sugars.
- Green tea has been found to improve bone density and strength.
Recommended by Skinny Healthy Girl: