Over the past few years, so many of my friends have tried week-long and even 30+ day detox diets; only drinking specially blended powers or strange green concoctions. I’ve done the research, so I’ll explain to them that if you’re eating a clean diet, at least 80% of the time, there’s no need for compulsive, depriving drinks because you can detox your body in a much healthier, natural way for life. Health really comes down to what we choose to put into our bodies everyday, we truly are what we eat.
Here are 6 ways to naturally detox daily.
- Eliminate all processed foods. Get rid of anything in a package, box or bag and focus on only eating clean, healthy foods such as nuts, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and foods that you make yourself, like hard-boiled eggs.
- Go organic. Being aware of how your food came to life is especially important when it comes to detoxing your body. The pesticides and chemicals used to grow many of the foods you might be buying can cause serious damage to your cells, potentially leading to cancer. If you can’t do organic forever, try it for a month and see how you feel, it could be a game-changer.
- Reduce alcohol consumption down to 2-3 drinks per week. Drinking has become a daily habit for many, with the amounts potentially compromising our health. Alcohol is toxic. Replacing that habit with another type of beverage like a tasty flavored seltzer or a special green tea will not only make it easier to stop drinking so much alcohol, it will detox your body. Learn more about the benefits of green tea here.
- Replenish your cells with foods like pistachios, pine nuts, pecans, raspberries, strawberries, oranges and seeds, while preventing disease by eating carrots, melons, asparagus, dark leafy greens and sweet potatoes.
- Drink more water! I know, you never stop hearing this but that only makes it more apparent that we’re not hydrating our bodies enough. We all should be drinking half of our body weight in ounces in water each day, so if you weigh 130 pounds, you should be drinking 65oz of water. It’s a natural and essential way to detox everyday. Learn more about this here.
- Eat less sugar. You’ll notice that not one of these recommendations requires complete deprivation, it’s just about awareness, balance and control. In recent studies, sugar has been shown to be a culprit in negatively affecting health causing serious illness such as diabetes and aging the skin. Eating less sugar alone is a detox in itself.
Recommended by Skinny Healthy Girl: