Jalapeno Poppers; the healthy way

Healthier option; baked jalepeno poppers, yum!
Healthier option; baked jalepeno poppers, yum!

Pull these out of the oven at your next football party or any party, and wow your crowd!  This is an ultimate football food recipe that is not only delicious, it’s a healthier option, baked jalapeno poppers.  As you know, I am a big believer in the 80/20 rule; eating clean 80% of the time and whatever you want the other 20%.  Best part about this recipe is this version of jalapeno poppers tastes even better than the fried version without all the guilt.  Jalapeno poppers, learn how to make the ultimate football food the healthy way.

apeppersIngredients:

12 jalapenos, halved & seeded, all of the insides removed

1 block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese at room temperature

1 cup of grated extra sharp cheddar cheese

½ teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon cayenne (or less if you don’t like too spicy)

2 large eggs

2 tablespoons of milk

1 cup of panko crumbs (or fine breadcrumbs)

½ cup flour

Seasoning Mixture Ingredients:

2 ½ tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease a cookie sheet & set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the room temperature 1/3 less fat cream cheese, grated extra sharp cheddar, cumin and cayenne.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk and 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mixture.

In a shallow bowl, mix the panko crumbs and 4 teaspoons of the seasoning mixture.

In a last dish, combine the flour and remaining seasoning mixture.

Now, start with your first cleaned jalapeno half, spread and fill with the cream cheese mixture, then one at a time, dredge through the flour, dip into the egg mixture and finally press into the panko crumbs, carefully coating each one.  Try to cover as much of the pepper as possible, top and bottom, then place on cookie sheet, cheese side up.  Repeat until all of the peppers are full and covered.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cheese filling is bubbly and golden brown.  When finished, plate and serve with your dip of choice.  My favorite dip for the jalapeno poppers is sour cream mixed with some spicy sause.  You could also serve with a healthy blue cheese dressing, so good!  Hope you enjoy!!

Recommended by Skinny Healthy Girl

Best healthy black bean dip recipe ever!

How to make the best healthy nachos