It’s like clockwork! Before we can even ring in the new year, all we hear about is how we need to lose that holiday weight on every television show, magazine and website. Forget about all of that! Haven’t you had enough of the ups and downs of the scale, the resolutions we rarely ever keep and diets that don’t work? Let 2016 be the year you become healthy for good!
Making small, simple changes within your life and committing to them will naturally enable you to live a healthier life overall. When holidays or special occassions come about, tweak what you’re already doing and enjoy. Anything extreme is never, ever, ever going to work for the long term, so why do it?
Here are 10 things you can do to live a healthier 2016 and beyond:
- Drink a glass of lemon water every morning before consuming anything else. This will not only hydrate your body after sleep, but will also flush and boost your immune system.
- Use a smaller plate for every meal. You’ll be surprised how much less you will eat and still be full when using a smaller serving platter. I do this often and it shocks me every time.
- Pick 3 new workout DVD’s to buy and rotate them. Doing 20-30 minutes of exercise 5-6 days per week will transform your mind and body. My favorites are here.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night. Sleep is essential to a healthy lifestyle and it will also enable you to think more clearly, be more organized and enable you to be more mindful of your choices. Learn more about the life changing benefits of sleep here.
- Do not buy processed foods! If it’s in a box, bag or package, be sure to read the label carefully. The #1 thing to look for? Sugar content. Processed sugar is killing us on so many levels, eat less. A mostly plant-based diet is what is most recommended today paired with low fat proteins and very little meat.
- Plan your meals, especially breakfast and lunch. Why? Because if you plan what you’re going to eat, you’ll eat healthier, period. Also, not eating breakfast or eating the wrong breakfast can throw off your entire day. Boil a dozen eggs and eat one each morning. Also, lunch has to be packed up and taken with you. If you eat out, you will eat poorly 99% of the time.
- Get healthy food ideas from websites, friends and Food Network. You’ll be surprised at how motivated you will become when you actually have delicious healthy recipes. Make extra so you’ll always have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Lay out your sneakers and workout outfit next to your bed every night. Once you make this a routine, you’ll wake up and put them on making it more probable that you’re going to workout.
- No time to exercise? Can’t fit in one of the best 20-30 minute workout DVDS? Do 30 squats while brushing your teeth. Park as far away as you can in the parking lot and power walk to your destination. Stretch before going to bed. Do something everyday!!
- Never ever allow yourself to get hungry. Hunger equals bad food choices. My trick is to always have a small bag of mixed nuts in my purse or car to munch on and ward off hunger. Plus, nuts are one of the healthiest foods you can eat, learn more about this here.
Recommended by Skinny Healthy Girl: