Did you know that you don’t have to eat meat to get protein into your diet? There are a number of vegetables that contain a tremendous amount of protein that will keep you feeling fuller longer enabling you to lose weight faster. Also, choosing vegetables over meat is a healthier overall, reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers.
Here are the top 6 high protein vegetables.
- Chickpeas contain 8 grams of protein per serving and they are delicious. Adding them to a salad, blending them into a hummus and baking them in the oven with a little buffalo sauce is a healthy way to get your protein in for the day.
- Broccoli can be added to nearly everything from pizza, pasta and rice dishes. Not only does it contain 3 grams of protein per cup, it also is a great source of fiber. Try roasting broccoli in the oven with a little garlic and extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese when you take it out of the over, so good.
- Peas offer 8 grams of protein per serving and are another example of a vegetable that’s easy to add to most meals. Buy frozen organic peas, they’re convenient and a healthier option.
- Spinach contains 13 grams of protein per serving and will keep you full for hours. Spinach is a vegetable that you can eat in salads, bake into casseroles, boil, cream, steam or add to soups. There’s a reason why Pop-Eye ate all that spinach.
- Potatoes are a favorite but most don’t realize how much protein spuds contain. A medium sized potato contains 5 grams of protein and because they’re normally not eaten alone, adding them to a stew or topping with a little cheese will only increase their value.
- Corn, whether frozen or on the cob contains 5 grams of protein per cup. Another benefit of this vegetable is fiber, so adding this food to any meal is not only a healthy choice but will make your family happy.
Looking for other protein packed foods to pair with your protein veges? We’ve put together 8 more for you here.
Recommended by Skinny Healthy Girl: